Saturday, November 3, 2012

J-Dag, pumpkins, and the Shoop Rockers...

"If human beings had genuine courage, they'd wear their costumes every day of the year, not just Halloween."

The past couple of weeks have been pretty weird.  If I was at home we would be in the middle of pumpkin/Halloween/leaves/fall season, but here they don't really have all that.  I guess I just assumed that everyone everywhere celebrated Halloween, surprise surprise they don't.  Actually Halloween is basically just a North American thing.  Actually as my Australian friend's pointed out to them Halloween is just extremely foolish.  In the Southern Hemisphere, our fall is their spring so when we celebrate Halloween there are no pumpkins, or leaves, or anything Halloween like.  However since there are so many American exchange students here we did Halloween in style.  

The only Halloween that really happened outside of the international students was at Tivoli, the amusement park in the city center.  



We actually had two Halloween parties, one on Monday and one on Wednesday.  Can you tell what I am supposed to be?
 If you can't tell I was trying to go for Daphne from Scooby Doo, Seonaid was a dinosaur, and Niklas was just super creepy.  





 And for the first Halloween party I tried to be Danish, I got pretty close except for the blond, 6'4, size 2; but I had the all black, giant scarf, bun on top of my head, and haughty expression on my face.

 Also last week I went to Lund, Sweden with my friend Niklas and his sister, Inken.  The best thing there was Kulturen which was an open air museum, kind of like the Galloway House in Fond du Lac.  However the houses in the museum were not the best part.  The best part of the whole thing was the areas that were supposed to be set up for children, which mean Niklas and me.
 Also apparently people were all midgets back in the day because there is no way anyone in my family would fit in these houses.
 And why can't we just have cool murals painted on all of our walls at home?
 and cut our shrubs like this?
 Also the entire time I was there all I could think about was the American Girl Kirsten.  This was definitely what her furniture looked like.  
Bob the Builder in Swedish.
 Children's center number 1: playhouse and playground.  Unfortunately there were actually kids here so we weren't able to play on all of the equipment.  
 Kind of ingenious to have your dresser on your bed, the beginnings of Ikea perhaps?
 Also the original baby swing, this one however did not exactly look safe, however since the swing is only about 6 inches off the ground I suppose it wouldn't be that bad if the baby fell.
 Why wouldn't you have a mannequin who is carving wooden clogs?

 Again, people were midgets.  I might be able to fit in the bed if I curl up in the fetal position but other than that there is no way.
 Children's center number 2: rock band!  There was an exhibit on music through the ages and at the end there was a stage set up with instruments and dress up clothes.  As you can see Niklas and I had a lot of fun here.  We decided to start a rock band, called the Shoop Rockers.  What is a shoop you may ask? Shoop is the plural of sheep, at least that is what we convinced Benjamin, a French guy.

And Children's area #3: stilts, wooden horses, swords, and shields.
 And I kicked Niklas' butt in a sword fight.


Also yesterday was J-Dag, which is basically a national holiday.  J-Dag is the first Friday of November every year and at 9:00 PM the Christmas beer is released. I know, a holiday for the release of beer, weird right?  And the funny thing, the Christmas beer is even more disgusting than normal beer! And the Danes think so also.  According to one Dane they get excited every year to drink the Christmas beer then on J-Dag they go out and get that first beer and taste the first sip, and remember how disgusting it truly is.  


Random Danish Facts:
-Danes decorate with Danish flags for birthdays, and they're not being patriotic it's just decorations. 

- There is not only a J-Dag, there is also a P-Dag to celebrate the release of the Easter Beer.  Because nothing says Easter more than a special beer.  
-J.K. Rowling took the name Fenrir, as in Fenrir Greyback, from Nordic Mythology.  Fenrir is a wolf that during the end times kills Odin.

No comments:

Post a Comment