Sunday, August 26, 2012

Feeding an army...

"If you want to make god laugh, tell him your plans."
-Unknown

For the past three weeks my friends and I have decided to have a communal dinner on Saturday nights and it switches who plans and hosts the dinner.  This week Niklas and I took our turn.  We wanted to go for an American/German theme so of course we wanted to grill hamburgers and sausages. Unfortunately it decided to rain and be really cold all day Saturday so there went our idea to have a nice "barbecue" as everyone refers to it here.  And what started out as a nice group of six coming ended up as 11 by the time we ate! And as I am from the Midwest I was freaking out about if we had enough food.  We told everyone to come at 5:00 and Niklas and I were ready, as shown by Niklas' awkward Vana White pose.



 At these dinners everyone brings something or has a job, so Chris and Alex were given the job of grilling the meat (I don't know if you can see it but there is a bottle of red wine sitting on the grill and Alex has a glass in his hand.  Drinking red wine while grilling hamburgers is almost sacrilegious and they were ridiculed greatly)
and this is what 45 minutes of waiting looks like while the guys try to get the grill to work.


and this is what failure looks like.  Chris and Alex finally gave up and came in to cook the hamburgers on the stove.


But in the end everything turned out really well and it was a lot of fun.  So for the dinner we had from left: Daniel (one of my roommates), Seonaid, Marcos, Alex, Hannah, Niklas, Krys, Triin, and Morten (another roommate)
and Chris who was still cooking the hamburgers and wasn't sitting yet.

Even though our plans didn't really work out I have to say I am proud of what we actually did.  We ended up with German potato salad (that I made), a pasta salad, hot dogs, some weird red Danish sausage, hamburgers, and chocolate cake for dessert.


Earlier this week we decided to play soccer(or football as everyone else calls it).  One would think that it would have been a really good game especially since we had an Italian, a Brazilian, and 2 Germans playing, but apparently not.  It was a fun game if not a skillful one. 

This past summer I mowed lawn for the Town of Taycheedah and I thought I did a lot of pointless things, but this kind of takes the cake.  Is it really necessary to mow this? I think not.

 And finally my Danish class has come to an end.  As much as I really really dislike the language I will miss my classmates and teacher.  Friday morning before our test we had breakfast together and its amazing how much of a family we have become in the last 3 weeks.  At the breakfast there was yelling, reaching over each other, food being thrown, and just the general chaos of a normal family.


Random Danish Facts:
-The highest point in Denmark is 171 m.  The highest point in Wisconsin, Timms Hill, is 5 times higher than that.
- I don't know if I have mentioned it yet but Lego was invented in Denmark.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment