Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mimes and pumpkins...

"So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness."
- Sidney Poitier

This is going to be a slightly random post, mainly I wanted to show my beautiful pumpkin soup that I made today because I was bored.  However that would be sort of weird to do an entire post on soup that I made so I am also adding photos from my trip to Tivoli last Friday.  

Tivoli is the second oldest amusement park in the world.  The oldest amusement park in the world, Bakken, is actually also in Denmark.  Tivoli opened on August 15, 1843.  The founder of TIvoli, Georg Carstensen, told King Christian VIII that, "When the people are amusing themselves, they do not think about politics." So the king gave him land.  Walt Disney visited Tivoli when he took an overseas trip and immedietly decided that Disneyland should try to copy Tivoli's, "happy and unbuttoned air of relaxed fun."   

This theater is the pantomimeteatret (or in English pantomime theater).  The theater's curtain is actually a mechanical peacock's tail.
 The main story that is shown on the stage is one about this creepy guy whose in love with a ballerina but her father does not like him.  But in the end true love prevails and he gets the girl.
 The whole place is a strange mix of Chinese and Middle Eastern architecture and styles.
This was actually one of my favorite rides, it involved sitting in pirate ships and going around in a circle and up and down hills really fast.  

 And my wonderful mentor Signe.  Actually my mentors are amazing.  Line, on of my mentors, works in Tivoli so she was able to get us entrance to the park and ride passes free, as well as amazing discounts on our food.

 These swings ended up being terrifying because you are up so high and the wind was so strong.
 And then of course we are in Denmark so there has to be a Hans Christen Andersen ride.  Imagine "It's a Small World" ride in Disney World except with fairytales. Can you name the fairytales?




 On Fridays there are concerts held at 10:00, being the smart money making people that they are Tivoli now sells 10 kr. beers from 7 to 8 to get people in early so that they spend more money before the concerts. (and no all those beers were not for him he just wanted the cool holder so got beers for all of us)


The best ride by far was Vertigo.  
Basically four people are strapped in an airplane and go around upside down in a circle.  This ride has more sustained Gs than any other ride in the world 5.5 Gs for 20 seconds.  I don't know exactly what that means except that you feel like you are glued to the seat and can't move.  




So today I was extremely bored so I decided to cook, which I would not recommend because that involves spending money and eating calories that you probably wouldn't have otherwise eaten.  Anyway I decided to tackle pumpkin soup and it ended up being delicious!!!
 I even toasted the seeds to eat like we used to do when we carved pumpkins.

 Although it may not look that appetizing it was delicious and had a much more orange color than what the photo shows.
 I also decided to be adventurous and add dumplings to the soup, which tasted great but not exactly pretty.

So there is my random blog post for the day, but I was super proud of my soup success and wanted to share. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the whole pot of soup that I have since I basically have a refrigerator shelf that is maybe 1/2 square foot of space. 


No comments:

Post a Comment